24 Haziran 2012 Pazar

Frost Rings

To contact us Click HERE

Position: OVR (Omaha VOR)
Altitude: 32,000 feet
Groundspeed: 398 knots (457 mph)
Equipment: A320 V2500 A5 engines
Pax-on-Board: 136
 

Airborne... Two hours fifty-seven minutes since selecting landing gear UP.

Ahead of us... Snow covered fields of Nebraska stretching to the horizon. Even though the sun is in my eight o'clock low, reflected sunlight is intense on these old pilot eyes. I have my Revos on which helps, but still... Another reason I prefer night flight.

The kid in the right seat does not seem to be bothered by the high-altitude light storm. I have flown with him four or five times and have no complaints... He is an intelligent young man and is the flying pilot this morning. I am the radio man, administrative assistant and flight attendant liaison officer.

A position check over Omaha shows us 100 pounds ahead on fuel and three minutes behind the flight plan. I ask the co-pilot why we are three minutes late over Omaha and remind him that captains are always on time or ahead of schedule (even if they are not). He says he is striving for perfection. Good answer... I like this kid.

I fill out a digital position report that includes information on turbulence, icing, cloud layers, outside air temp, wind direction/speed and then push the SEND button... Mother will receive it within seconds and add the data to the Big Picture.

Prophylactic de-icing...


A surface air temperature of - 3 C had me wondering about frost this morning. I sent the co-pilot to Starbucks while I pre-flighted the A320. Warm brakes and warm engines... It had recently arrived from the west coast. The baggage conveyor belt was up against the rear cargo compartment providing a good viewing platform for the back of the wing and flaps. I found two small rings of early morning frost on the trailing edge flaps, each about two inches in diameter. The remainder of the wing was clean.

There might have been more on the tail, but it was too far above the ground to view. Technically, it is illegal to take-off with any contamination on the top surface of the wing or tail. I know a lot of pilots who would deem this tiny amount of frost as inconsequential and blast off. I thought about it while I continued the pre-flight. It would take at least fifteen minutes (extra) to cya de-ice and cost the company thousands of dollars.

If I do not de-ice, a pax with an iPhone will make a video of the tiny frost circles and post it on the Internet, send it to the FAA, the company, USA Today, and CNN.

Airline captain endangered passengers while flying an ice laden airplane... FAA investigating


Passengers say they were terrified... Children crying in First Class


I decided to de-ice before I finished the pre-flight.

100 nautical miles east of Denver...


The groundspeed has decreased to 335 knots with winds in excess of 120 knots on the nose. The flight plan shows forecast winds of 110 knots. The winds are 30 knots less at 26,000 feet; 30 knots more at 36,000 feet. I have been running wind scenarios in the fuel paranoia section of my brain and comparing the results with "what-if" entries in the nav computers. It is a wash... We will stay at 32,000 feet.

The lead flight attendant calls the flight-deck checking on us and tells me that three of the pax complained about the de-icing event. They told her that they could see no reason for it and that I had wasted their time.

Of course...  It's the Wiki effect of the nouveau experten. Take a deep breath and think of Acapulco beaches for a minute.

Ah, that's better... I tell the lead f/a to thank them for bringing it to my attention.

100 nautical miles south of Salt Lake City...


Groundspeed has increased to 400 knots; the nav computers are showing a five minute late touchdown on runway 28-Right, KSFO. Using my #2 pencil and hand calculator, I come up with the same result. Probably nine minutes late at the gate. Finger nails on a chalkboard in my world... All because of two little frost circles.

Life on the Line continues... South of KSLC... 32,000 feet


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder